Monday, March 20, 2017

TOI ISTANBUL: Revisited at New Location

Dear readers,

I know it has been a long time since my last post but the latter part of 2016 was a busy time for me with several trips abroad and projects for customers. Alsoto be quite honest, I didn't get a chance to visit new restaurant/cafes or even if I did, I didn't feel they were worthy of a write-up! 

Finally, a couple of weeks ago I attended a dinner organized by my dear friend Burçak Desombre, a certified sommelier who organizes tasting menu dinners with wine pairings for groups up to 20 people at noteworthy restaurants around the city.

Although I have written about TOI Istanbul before (May, 2016), I felt this lovely fine dining restaurant deserved an update so that I could give you info about its new location as well as general info about the menu, etc.

TOI (pronounced toy-e) Istanbul moved to its current location in Kuruçeşme, right across the street from Kuruçeşme Park on the Bosphorus in November, 2016. The venue was quite popular at it's previous location, but now, TOI Istanbul can accept more diners and is more centrally located.

On the 2nd floor of a two story building (Japanese restaurant below)... as you walk up the stairs, you know you will be stepping into a fine dining restaurant...

TOI Istanbul 
Dimly lit and elegantly decorated, the dining tables can be organized based on the reservations for the evening... so a huge table was set up for our group in the center of the dining room ...

TOI Istanbul
Also... notice the ceiling? Once the weather warms up, it can be opened so you can not only enjoy an "outdoor" dining experience, but will also have a lovely view of the Bosphorus depending on where you are sitting!

I'm not going to share photos of our dinner as I did this in my previous post and don't want to repeat myself. Moreover, some of the tasting dishes we had were "off the menu items". I must add however that I love the china ... all plates are not the same size or color, but rather selected and designed for the dish you order. The water glasses are colorful and butter dishes are ceramic. So, not only is the food fantastic, but the presentation refined and appealing! The music played is also very good and further adds to a fine dining experience. 

Now,  I will give you  general information about TOI's menu. Chef and owner Ismet Saz (you can also read about him in my previous post), changes his menu every 45 to 50 days, but does keep some of the favorites as long as it's in season.   

The a la carte menu is not very crowded and includes 10 starters (24 TL - 62 TL); 4 pasta & risotto (40 TL - 46 TL) dishes , 10 main courses, with an emphasis on fish (41 TL to 175 TL) and 4 sides (22 TL). Unfortunately, I forgot to look at the dessert menu as I'm constantly watching my weight now that I'm where I'm supposed to be after losing 17 kg last year!

There is also a 7-course tasting menu (currently 195 TL), with (115 TL) or without wine pairing option which you can order at your table or Chef's Table area. 

Just like at its previous location, their is an open kitchen with a section for those diners opting for a Chef's Table experience (up to 4-6 people) with a spacious fully-stocked bar withseating. Of course, let's not forget TOI's wine list which is very impressive with an extensive list of wines from Turkey and around the world at prices that are lower than at "like" restaurants around the city! So, you can easily enjoy a bottle (or 2 ... or 3...) with your meal without paying through the nose! By the glass prices are a little higher, but the quality of the wines warrant the higher prices. 

TOI Istanbul
Last, but not least... TOI is now serving Sunday Brunch between 11:00am and 4:00pm. But, this is not your typical open buffet Sunday Brunch to be sure! Besides some of the "classics" fresh lobster, shrimp, Serrano ham and so much more is offered (I have to definitely go!) for a cost of 195 TL/person which includes a glass of champagne (Moet & Chandon).

Our group totally enjoyed our night at TOI Istanbul ... the food was fantastic... the ambiance as expected and great conversation with new and old acquaintances... what else can you ask for? Reservations are highly recommended. 
TOI Istanbul

Stay well,

Dani






TOI ISTANBUL
Kuruçeşme Caddesi No. 11
Kuruçeşme, Istanbul
Tel: +90 212 258 00 29
www.toiistanbul.com.tr
Open Monday-Saturday between 
6:00pm 2:00am
Sunday Brunch served on the 1st and 3rd Sunday of each month



1 comment:

  1. Dani, it is so good to see you posting again. Thank you. Stay well!!!

    ReplyDelete